Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Insufferable Quandaries of Coming up with a Blog-name

The Insufferable Quandaries of Coming up with an Un-Shit Blog-name


My Dearest internet,


I write to you today to apologize for my newest web-page of cynical words and middlingly-interesting waffle.  [Here's a little note for all you fact-fans out there, 'middlingly' is not an official Oxford-dictionary word. Stephen is using it here to humorous effect, juxtaposing the relatively advanced vocabulary he has displayed in the rest of the Blog-Update with a poorly generated word, derived from the word 'middle'. 'Middlingly' can be used in such sentences as 'Baby Bear's bed was the most middlingly comfortable' and 'Malcolm, you are the most 'middlingly aged child'.] I am sure you would far rather not be burdened with another self-important blog or poorly organised YouTube channel but I am quite afraid I have now forced upon you both of these things. I am a student who studies English and Film and I think if I am to get anywhere in this world's media then I should regularly update both however I am quite afraid my own YouTube channel sits currently neglected and sadly depressed like a main street in a good ol' Western. Visit it, dear internet and watch as a sullen and lonely tumble-weed blows in front of just over fifty snappily edited Doctor Who fan-vids... It will be such fun.




But I am off topic, sweet internet for which I must apologize  I write today to complain, as the title suggests about the difficulty I had coming up with a relevant, eye-catching and interesting name for my brand new blog which you may be aware I have just started. A good name for a blog should be 1. Humorous 2. Relevant and 3. Unique in my opinion and the title that I have chosen ticks one whole box out of these three. 


The trickiest thing was finding a title that was relevant to what this blog was going to be about. Well, it's going to be about things that interest me, things that I can complain about and things that I like. What interests me? Well feminism. For some reason it's just something that really makes me think but there's nothing humorous about feminism... Unless you're like one of those misogynist chaps and, less power to you. Perhaps I could make a witty reference to that famous play of feministic proportions, 'The Vagina Monologues' but I haven't got one of those and the idea of a talking cock is even more horrific than the implications of the original play's title. No matter how hilarious AND relevant subverting the expectations of the reader to make them think that they are about to read the wrong type of genital-based speech the title just wouldn't do at all.

Humor is a tricky thing to get right in a brief, eye-catching title unless it's a really good pun. If you haven't noticed yet, my own particular brand of humor comes from being as down as I possibly can be about everything... oh that patriarchal society, it's right shit isn't it? So I definitely wouldn't be able to achieve humor in my title.


Uniqueness fortunately is quite an easy thing to accomplish on this fine website for it handily won't allow one to post in an already existing blog so my final title is entirely unique to me. Here's how I came up with it:


The part of my brain that doesn't understand the word 'relevant' thought, "It would be relevant to place a reference to Doctor Who in the title of my wonderful Blog (for I love it very much). Lets call it 'Stephen Likes and Talks about Doctor Who!'" 

"But it's not nearly humorous enough..." The brain hemisphere I possess which doesn't understand humor cried in swift response. "Lets put the word Who somewhere that it doesn't belong that'll get 'em rolling in the aisles! Lets make the title a pun, We're funny, we can think of a good one..." My humorous brain incorrectly thought.
"Houston, We have a problem is a phrase which starts with the syllable 'Who'" My clever old relevant-less brain-side thought.
"I've heard of that so it's funny!" Unfunny brain replied.
"Is it?"
"Oh yes!"
"Then we have a title!!!" [Here's a note for all you fact fans out there; the use of three consecutive exclamation marks is not grammatically correct. Stephen merely used the extra two in order to portray the sheer excitement that his unfunny, irrelevant brain felt!!!]

So, Internet my dear. I present to you the first entry into my brand new blog "Whostone, We have a Problem" I hope it will be humorous and relevant and will make up for the terrible title in time. Sadly, I fear It may be as un-unique as it is possible to be as it joins the droves of other blogs available at the click of a button on you but lets find out together...

No comments:

Post a Comment